Flatbed Load Planner
Carrier One continues to grow and we are looking for a talented transportation operations pro to join our Planning team!
The Planner is responsible for but not limited to working with contractor drivers to provide high quality of service and operational effectiveness. The Planner will manage the overall planning and coordination of flatbed loads for an assigned group of Fleet Managers, using his/her judgment and discretion so as to maximize the efficiency and productivity of the operation.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Utilize independent judgement and discretion and network balance capacity tools to determine location of trucks and available customer loads; to tailor planning to meet area needs, including loads taken, routes utilized and possible changes or cancellation of load assignments; to understand daily capacity needs/opportunities and proactively communicate to appropriate leadership to maximize efficiency.
- Know and understand the intricacies of the flatbed freight market; plan for acceptance of loads. Utilize independent judgement and network decision support tool to plan for acceptance of loads; to assign loads to trucks; to ensure customers' service requirements are met.
- Responsible for the successful communication of planned loads to Fleet Managers and subsequent ownership of loads for assigned area.
- Coordinate fleet capacity needs with operations leadership and drivers. Collaborate with other planning center teams to coordinate network needs/opportunities, and create and execute agreed upon strategic plans.
- Make decisions and communicate late pickups and/or deliveries, as well as any other load changes, cancellations or reassignments to appropriate department personnel.
- Use independent judgement and discretion to comply with all Department of Transportation (DOT) Regulations & Safety Compliance guidelines; to validate driver hours of service to safely and legally facilitate the planning of loads; to honor specific driver/company requests related to operations/safety training; to research driver issues regarding non-compliance items (overweight loads, load routing, hours of operation, equipment type, etc.); and to provide resolution accordingly to meet legal requirements. Analyze and forward unresolved issues to appropriate internal departments for resolution as needed.
- Communicate professionally, effectively, and timely with both internal and external customers/contacts.
- Maintain a positive work atmosphere by acting and communicating in a manner which facilitates the overall efficiency and success of business operations in order to meet company demands and expectations.
- Perform additional managerial and business operations duties as assigned.
- 2+ years experience in asset based OTR transportation
- Ability to process multiple situations quickly
- Thrives in a fast paced environment
- Strong communication skills both written and verbal
- Be detail oriented and possess good organizational skills.
- Experience with McLeod dispatch software
- Working knowledge of the flatbed industry
- Previous load planning experience
- An industry leading compensation package including salary + monthly bonus opportunities
- Strong work/life balance that includes paid holidays + 15 days of personal time off per year
- No waiting period for insurance benefits
- Medical: 75% company paid
- Dental: 100% company paid
- Vision: 100% company paid
- IRA savings plan with company match
- Opportunity to advance with a strong and growing company